Spofforth Snooker Club Rules
1. The Name of the Club shall be SPOFFORTH SNOOKER CLUB
2. Full membership shall be open to persons over the age of 18 years. Junior membership shall be open to persons under the age of 18 years, the minimum age being 14 years. All new members will serve a probationary period of six months after which time full membership will be ratified by Club Officials, providing there have been no behavioural issues.
2A. Honorary Life Members may be proposed by the Committee for ratification at the AGM.
3. Guests can only be introduced by a Full Member and that guest may only visit the Club 3 times in any one year before having to apply for membership. Guests must be signed in before play commences. It is the responsibility of the member to ensure that they are entered in the Visitors Book – Failure to do so will result in the offenders membership being withdrawn pending investigation by Club Officials. The onus is upon the member to provide a pen or pencil to complete the entry.
MANAGEMENT OF THE CLUB
4. The management and government of the Club shall be vested in the Chairman, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer, who shall be ex-officio members of the Committee and a Committee consisting of seven members, four of whom shall form a quorum. They shall control the management of the funds and affairs of the Club but shall not dispose of nor acquire any property or assets of significant value without the previous consent of the members.
5. All Officers of the Club shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting but the Committee shall have the power to elect Officers should a vacancy occur during the year. All Officials shall retire each year but may stand for re-election.
6. The Hon. Secretary shall maintain a record of attendance of Committee Members for presentation at the AGM.
7. The AGM of the Club shall be held in May of each year. All members shall be notified by the Hon. Secretary by posting of Notice not less than 14 days prior to the meeting. The Committee shall have the power to call an Extraordinary General Meeting or one may be called on the written request of not less than 10 paid-up members.
7A. A Pre-AGM Committee meeting shall be called as soon as practicable after the Treasurer’s Accounts have been completed.
8. Voting at the AGM shall be by show of hands, except in the election of Officers when voting shall be by secret ballot. Paid-up FULL members only shall be allowed to vote. No nominations can be accepted without the prior consent of the nominee.
9. Any proposed alterations or amendments to these rules must be received in writing by the Hon. Secretary for submission to the AGM not later than 15 April. Those proposed by the Committee will be discussed at the Pre-AGM.
10. Any matter not covered by these rules shall be dealt with by the Committee.
11. The Club’s financial year shall end on 30 April when the Hon. Treasurer shall close the books. All receipts and expenses after that date shall be considered as part of the following year’s transactions.
12. Subscriptions are due on 1 September of each year. Any subscription renewal not paid by 31 October shall attract an additional payment of £5.00.
12A. Match Levies shall be collected by Team Captains weekly and submitted to the Treasurer within one week of the end of each half of the season.
13. The financial powers of the Hon. Treasurer shall be limited to the day to day business of the Club and the running expenses connected therewith. The Hon. Treasurer shall have charge of all moneys, receipts and payments of the Club and shall maintain a banking account at the NatWest Bank. Expenditure involving extraordinary sums must be approved by the AGM or an Extra-ordinary General Meeting. All cheques drawn on the Club’s banking account must be signed by any two of Chairman, Hon. Secretary and Hon. Treasurer.
14. Immediately after the closing of the Hon. Treasurer’s books at the end of the financial year, they shall be audited by the Club’s Hon. Auditor who shall sign the Balance Sheet and Financial Statement to be presented to the AGM. The Hon. Auditor shall be elected at the AGM.
15. In the event of the winding up of the Club, the surplus assets, after the discharge of all liabilities, shall be disposed of as decided by the final Extra-ordinary Meeting of the Club.
16. The Committee shall ensure that the equipment is insured against hazards such as fire, damage by storm or water, etc., within the terms of the policy held by Spofforth- with-Stockeld Parish Council.
17. The Hon. Secretary’s and Hon. Treasurer’s books shall be open at all times for inspection by the Committee.
18. As in accordance with the lease of the Clubroom, nominated Key Holders shall be appointed by the Committee. The names and addresses of these Key Holders shall be posted on the Club notice board.
19. Full Members may obtain a set of keys on completion of the application form and submission of a £10.00 refundable deposit. On cessation of membership, the keys must be returned to the Treasurer and refund claimed.
20. The Clubroom shall be available for play at all reasonable times for all members. When other members are waiting to play, games are limited to half an hour. Pairs should be played when many members are waiting. THERE SHALL BE NO PLAY AFTER 12.00 MID-NIGHT.
21. The care and maintenance of the tables and other equipment is the responsibility of all members and they are expected to keep them in good condition. Any member found damaging the table or other equipment or breaking the rules shall be dealt with by the Committee.
22. A copy of these rules shall be placed on the Club notice board.
23. The Club shall enter teams in such League Competitions and shall be affiliated to such Associations as shall be decided at Annual and/or Extra-ordinary General Meetings.
24. Selection of teams shall be by a Selection Committee consisting of the Captains of all teams who shall be elected at the AGM.
25. Any member being selected to play for a team and being unable to play should notify the respective team captain as early as possible.
26. Members selected to play in home matches should be at the Club before the due commencement of the match and should mark one game as allocated by the team captain.
27. League and Cup matches in the Harrogate and District League and the Caines Jewellers Snooker League shall take precedence over normal Club games.
28. Individual matches in competitions organised by the Harrogate and District League and the Caines Jewellers Snooker League shall take precedence over normal Club games provided that they are played over not more than three frames at Snooker and not more than 200 up at Billiards.
29. Members having children younger than 14 years, who would like to introduce them to Snooker or Billiards, may bring them into the Clubroom before their 14th birthday without charge and play on the tables with them. However, they must be present with them throughout the visit and must not use the tables if members are waiting for a game. If in play when other members come into the Clubroom, they shall be allowed to finish the frame or otherwise comply with rule 20.